PDCA Washington Metro Chapter is the association dedicated to the needs of painting
contractors and your local resource for long term success in your business. We provide
educational presentations covering marketing, customer service, sales, profit, employees/sub-
contractors, safety, hold networking events and much more. Contractors and Associate
members partner together in PDCA and work to assist all members as they navigate their way
through the many challenges of operating a painting business.
Throughout the long history of the organization, PDCA has never lost sight of its purpose and goals to:
■ Enhance the advancement of the coating application industry
■ Provide a conduit for communication between those involved in the coating application industry
■ Provide services/education to members that cannot be obtained in small groups or individually
■ Be the voice of the coating application industry
■ Promote an attitude of ethical responsibility in business
■ To promote the spirit of this Code and the objectives of our profession and industry through creation of and participation in Councils, Chapters, Forums, all association entities, and industry related groups
■ To establish and maintain the highest level of reciprocal respect and goodwill with all segments of the industry
■ To promote our association to customers, prospective members, the industry, and related groups
Members are the key component to keeping our industry association growing, allowing us tocontinue bringing new innovative education and business tools etc. to assist our contractors tosucceed and bringing exposure to them for our associate members.
The Mid-Atlantic Council of The PDCA an association of painting and decorating contractors working together to improve our trade, our business, and our reputation as reliable, qualified trade professionals.
Our Association of Professional Coating Contractors is focused on improving business for our members in the Middle Atlantic Region: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and the District of Columbia.
The Painting and Decorating Contractors of America traces its history to 1884 when it was established by a group of contractors. The first name of PDCA was the "Master House Painters’ Association of the United States and Canada". It came into legal existence in New York City on January 15, 1885 for the specific purpose of attacking industry abuses and to remedy a defective apprentice system, to solve problems created by unsatisfactory materials, and to devise a means for assuring the public of the "skill, honorable reputation, and probity" of master painters.
In 1890, the name was changed to "The Master House Painters and Decorators’ Association of the United States of America". In 1903, "and Canada" was restored to the name and in 1904, the title was further amplified to read "International Association of Master House Painters and Decorators". Later, the Toronto Association was admitted to membership. At Richmond, Virginia, in 1903, it was voted to hold the 20th convention in Toronto, Canada at which time a Canadian Association was organized. For the next 30 years, the Canadian representatives were most active in the affairs of the International Association, with two of them being elected to the Presidency. The Canadian affiliation was ended with great regret on both sides of the border in 1933, due to legal complexities of the Association’s sponsorship of the National Code Authority in the FDR Administration.
On June 4, 1928, under the laws of the state of Illinois PDCA was incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation. In 1928, the name was again changed, this time to the "Master Painters and Decorators, Incorporated." On March 8, 1937, at the annual convention in San Antonio, Texas, the name was changed from the "Master Painters and Decorators, Incorporated" to the current Painting and Decorating Contractors of America (PDCA).
The principal offices were formerly located in New York City and then moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and in June 1954, the headquarters were transferred to Chicago, Illinois. In 1975, PDCA moved the headquarters to Falls Church, VA, and in 1989, PDCA moved again to Fairfax City, VA. The current headquarters is located in St. Louis, Missouri.
In 2019, the association officially implemented the name Painting Contractors Association (PCA), instead of PDCA to better align with the mission and remain relevant in the industry.
The PCA is the only trade association dedicated to the success of the nearly 310,000 painting contractors in America and Canada. PCA offers contractor members many opportunities to develop and grow through participation in education programs, attendance at local networking meetings, use of PCA Industry Standards and much more. Explore the PCA website to learn more about why PCA Painters Are Better.